This year will be my seventh BlogHer Conference. That's 7. VII. One, two, three, four, five, six, seven.
The good thing about having been to so many is that I am not stressed about it in any way. I'm bringing clothes I already had, with one exception that I purchased last weekend while shopping in Eureka Springs:
I am definitely bringing the most comfortable shoes I own, no matter how un-cute they might be. Even the sandals I'm packing to wear with this dress are low-heeled.
My only new tech goodie is this iPhone case from Uncommon. It looks much better in person, but my best camera *is* my phone, so I had to go with Photobooth to get this shot.
Uncommon offered me a free custom iPhone case to take to the conference and of course I said yes. I used my black and white blog design, although they can print any full-color image as well. If you'd like a 20% discount for a case of your own, find me at the conference or email me and I'll give you a card or email you a code.
Here's the photo without cropping so you can see what I look like now. I've changed my hair a lot since last year and I'm noticing that it seems to have made me invisible to people who should know me socially.
By the way, I am not getting my hair highlighted between now and the conference, so when we meet in person I'd appreciate it if you'd avert your eyes from the frizzy grey hairs leaping out of my part.
Pro conference tips? Okay, here are a few:
- Don't bring your laptop. You might think you'll need it, but you'll thank me for saving you from hauling it around various airports.
- Bring an extra bag. Last year I rolled up a duffel bag and packed it into my suitcase so I'd have another option for transporting swag. It saved me from having to ship anything and since I always fly Southwest, I didn't have to pay any extra for checking two bags on the way back.
- Remember what I said earlier about comfortable shoes? I wasn't kidding. Bring them. Wear them.
- Nobody really cares what you're wearing. Sure, it's fun to dress up for evening events but in most cases it doesn't make a substantial difference.
- You have business cards, right? Okay, good.
So that's all I have. I can't wait to go to the conference, reconnect with the people I've met before, meet new people and generally soak in the bloggerness of the whole thing. Will I see you there?