I am generally the world's biggest procrastinator, but something came over me yesterday that drove me to just work and work and work some more.
The day started much like every Saturday, with me sitting at my desk in my pajamas, surfing. Then I realized that I had a vet appointment for Velvet in about 15 minutes, so I hastened downstairs, packed the cat in the carrier, put on some random clothes and made it to my appointment just in time.
When I got home, I looked out at the beautiful morning and decided I would get outside and do a little pre-winter yard work. By the time I finally finished (with a break in the middle to go get a grilled knackwurst at my local sausage store), here's what I'd accomplished:
- Cut down several years' worth of unsightly volunteer trees surrounding the walnut tree in my back yard. This is a task that can only be done in the fall or winter because of the massive poison oak vines that climb up the side of the tree. I used my loppers to sever the vines near their base and then I sprayed the hell out of them with Roundup. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that I didn't touch anything poisonous.
- Put away the lawn furniture, hammock and stand, both barbecue grills and every other random thing that was being stored outdoors for no particular reason.
- Used the hedge trimmer to shape the yew and boxwood bushes in the front of the house.
- Cleaned up all the trimmings and other flower bed detritus.
- Cut down other random volunteer trees and this year's dead yucca stalks.
- Dragged all of the brush, clippings and branches to the woods in multiple wheelbarrow loads.
- Cleaned the outsides of all my storm windows. The fact that it turned out that most of the dirt was inside did not spur me to break out the screwdriver and take the windows down for cleaning.
- Spackled and painted over all the holes from my failed attempts to install a toilet paper holder in our half bath. Today I'll put up the new one.
- Pried up the grates in the driveway and shoveled out the drain with a trowel. Took all the leaves and dirt to the back yard to continue my years-long project of trying to fill a sunken spot next to the patio.
- Used the garden hose to clean all the spiderwebs, wasp nests and other ickiness that had collected around both the front and back door.
- Topped off the flower pot that my husband's studio clients use as an ashtray with a clean layer of sand.
- Replaced all of the burned-out light bulbs in the garage, studio and front porch (six of them in total).
- Did what I could to sweep out the garage. It needs to be thoroughly cleaned and hosed out, but that'll have to wait for another time.
It was a sweaty, exhausting day and I found a leaf in my bra when I went to change my shirt, but I am so happy to have all of the work out of the way. I always hate myself when I don't do this stuff and then look out and see snow all over the hammock.
Today my day is looking more structured. I have my shift taking care of the adoptable kitties at a local Petco store, than tacos with Mexikansan, then band practice.
How are you finishing up your weekend?