My husband and I are still living in our "starter house" after 13 years. It's plenty big enough for two people and some cats, so we decided some time ago that we're here to stay.
At the end of 2006 through spring of 2007, we had a lot of improvements made:
- Rec room above our garage converted to a recording studio
- Screened-in porch turned into my office
- Bathroom completely remodeled
- New roof put on
- Living room painted (I did that one myself)
Now that the memory of the noise, dust and inconvenience has faded, I'm ready to tackle another room.
Our guest room is that room - the one where the door stays closed all the time and junk piles up until you can barely walk in. The last time it got any real use was when my husband's sister lived with us in the late '90s. That's also why it has purple carpeting (she was 15 when she moved in).
Here's my plan:
- Rip out carpet and linoleum-covered sub-flooring and install hardwood flooring
- Remove the Ozarks-like paneling
- Scrape off the textured, glittery ceiling
- Replace cheap ceiling fan with modern track lighting
- Turn closet into a storage area for kitchen items
We'll get a futon or daybed and set up the room as a secondary TV room and guest room. That way, when kids come over or we have a rare overnight guest, there will be a comfortable place for them.
Once we have the extra pantry space, I can get rid of the baker's rack in the kitchen and put a breakfast nook in its place. Then we could finally have meals that don't involve plates on our laps in front of the TV.
Now I just need to find someone to DO all this work.