I'm not exactly a model of self-restraint when it comes to desserts and sweets anyway, but the instant the weather turns hot I start craving ice cream constantly. I'm not all that discriminating about it either, as evidenced by my purchase of a McDonald's "cone" yesterday. (McD's chooses not to discuss the nature of the cone's contents, which should strike all of us as suspicious.)
I've become a connoisseur of various ice cream and frozen custard store chains' offerings. My favorites:
- Baskin-Robbins - When I was growing up, we often had Baskin-Robbins ice cream cakes for our birthdays. My favorite flavor, then and now, was Mint Chocolate Chip. Everyone in my family thought it tasted like toothpaste, but I still got my Mint Chocolate Chip cake almost every year. Other good Baskin-Robbins flavors: Chocolate Almond and Butter Pecan.
- Dairy Queen - It's not fancy, but there's something about a chocolate-dipped cone from Dairy Queen that really hits the spot on a hot day. The little fragments of chocolate that fall off while you're eating it often hit spots on your clothes, too.
- Sonic - I live for the 99-cent Junior Banana Split, although I usually limit myself to one per summer.
- Sheridan's Frozen Custard - I have a love/hate relationship with them because their portion sizes are obscene, but I still enjoy their Strawberry Shortcake, even though I usually end up eating about 1/3 of it and throwing the rest away.
There are some local shops that serve ice cream and custard treats I particularly enjoy, including:
- An ice cream flavor called Cinnameg: vanilla ice cream with cinnamon, nutmeg and clove
- My favorite custard concrete flavor, Lemon Pie, with light vanilla custard, lemon pie filling and graham cracker crumbs
- Any good chocolate malt (not milkshake)
Finally, a cool party treat that combines ice cream and alcohol - what could be better?
- Carton of orange sherbet/vanilla ice cream blend
- Orange flavored vodka
- Mix in blender and serve
What are your favorite ice cream flavors and other frozen treats?